A convertible car seat is a great idea. This car seat starts off as a rear facing car seat for your baby then transitions to a front facing car seat once your baby meets size and weight needs. Convertible car seats grow along with your baby. This is because they have adjustable shoulder straps, buckle positions, recline and tilt positions, a head rest and other nifty features which make them adjust to your growing baby. Here are a number our recommendations when selecting the most effective convertible car seat for your baby.
- Aim for a convertible car seat that allows for a wide weight range so that it grows along with your kid. Luckily, today’s car seats allow much higher weight ranges, and lots of convertible car seats will accommodate kids up to 40 pounds or more for rear facing car seats and 65 to 70 pounds for forward facing car seats. Ideally, a convertible seat ought to accommodate your kid rear-facing till they’re 4 years old and forward-facing till 9 or 10 years old.
- The convertible seat you get is meant to last for a long time, thus stay away from car seats with shoulder straps that need re-threading to be adjusted.
- In the used car seat vs new car seat discussion, it’s best to always purchase a new car seat, more so from the top brands to guarantee safety.
The convertible car seat vs infant car seat debateFor the infant car seat vs. convertible car seat discussion, we say GET THE INFANT CAR SEAT! Sure it will cost extra money in the end because you’ll be shopping for 2 different seats within a year of each other. However, the convenience of the infant car seat is definitely worth the extra cash. Here’s why:
- Many parents have said that convertible car seats are too massive for their children. This forces them to use head rests, towels, or alternative padding to prop them in place till they grow into the seat.
- A convertible car seat is also less convenient at first: A convertible car seat is bulky, and unlike infant car seats, a convertible car seat has to be installed in the car instead of clicked into a base that’s installed in in the car. As a result, you can’t simply take your child in and out of the car while still keeping them in the car seat, carry your baby in them, or snap them into a stroller. The very last thing you want to do is wake them up as you are taking them in and out of the seat multiple times. If you intend on having more than one child, you’ll be able to use it for them too. Then you’ll be able to get your money’s worth.